Thursday, April 21, 2011

Plant Profiles: Marigolds



African marigold-photo taken
last summer
 I thought I would do something a bit different and share more in depth about different plants. Today I want to talk about Marigolds! I am hoping I can uncover some new and different information for you that you do not already know. :) Marigolds are super easy to grow and look great in every garden!
Where to grow:
Prefer Full Sun but I have found they will tolerate some shade.
Facts
Marigolds are an annual.
Deer do not like Marigolds and they avoid them. My hope is that maybe if I plant more of them in the flower beds that it might deter the deer from entering the flower beds.
Marigolds are great in the vegetable garden as well as companion plants. They are great help in repelling insects like the Mexican bean beetle that can cause problems with beans and they discourage nemotodes which attack potatoes. They repell many more insects as well as what I have mentioned here.
Marigolds (Calendula officinalis) have medicinal uses as well. They can be used to treat stuff like burns and bruises and ecxema.
They are edible and can be used to make tea which can help with digestion and even menstrual cramps.
There is a hybrid marigold called a Mule Marigold which is a cross between the African marigold and the french marigold to decrease the pungent smell and help the flowers last longer. These Marigolds do not produce viable seed though because they are a hybrid and the reason for the name Mule Marigold.
Marigolds have been used in the past for dyes to colour things like fabric.

Below is a bit of information of the Crackerjack (African) marigold and the French Marigold.

MARIGOLD -CRACKERJACK.  These Marigolds are also called African marigolds and they are quite large. The height on the package says they get 30-36inches tall which is a bit taller than mine got last year. I think mine were about 2ft/24in. This is a new variety to me as I have only grown them the last couple of years. Two years ago we bought them already started from a greenhouse and I fell in love. lol Last year I sought out seeds and was happy to find them at Butchart Gardens. The flowers take longer to open but they stay open for quite a long time as well. The flowers last longer than the usual french marigolds. The flowers are long lasting. Apparently they do well as a cut flower but I have never tested this out.  This particular variety of Marigolds is better in a flower bed or larger pots due to their size. I like to use them in the back of a pot and plant smaller plants in front.

African Marigold seeds











 MARIGOLD - FRENCH

French Marigold-photo taken last year
 from one of my hanging baskets
 These are more compact and bushier than other marigolds as they get about 8inches tall. The flowers can be single or double. These are the more common marigolds that you will find in stores where you buy bedding plants. I love these marigolds as well. As you can see, the seeds are pretty similar to the African marigolds so it is good to not mix them up if you have both as seed. lol These are great for pots and containers and the flower garden-I don't think there is really any area they don't look good. They do prefer full sun though to be happy.


French Marigold Seeds

 


Sources. Websites I have visited and used some information from while looking up information for marigolds.
Carrots love Tomatoes by Louise Riotte

2 comments:

  1. Hi, found your picture of the french marigold from google and got really inspired. I decided to tell you (a bit late though :D) that i painted a picture of it. Here's a link. http://addarina.deviantart.com/art/Grief-386402937 Thank you for inspiration :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! The Calendula is a different plant/flower.
    It's confusing because the marigold Spanish name on the packet is Calendula. But pot marigold is what you are referring to about medicinal properties and edibleness.
    The marigold you have pictured is tegates (sp)

    ReplyDelete