Saturday, January 29, 2011

Premier Stelmach stepping down

Hi again,
As anyone living here in Alberta knows, Premier Ed Stelmach announced this week that he is stepping down as Premier. It came as a shock to many people and yet for me I wasn't extremely shocked. I was surprised it happened this week but not surprised that it happened. The Alberta Provincial Conservative Party is losing popularity fast with how they are running the province and I figured it's only a matter of time before something drastic is done to try win people back. It seems often when there is a problem, the first one to go is the leader. It happens with politics often and it also seems quite common with sports. Sometimes the problem is the leader or the coach but not always. I think in the case of the conservative party, the problem lies not only with the leader but the entire party. The first problem with Premier Ed Stelmach in my opinion is that he is too nice and a good guy and good guys don't make good political leaders. As far as I see it, the other problem is that since Premier Stelmach isn't a strong leader, the rest of the party is making alot of the decisions and convincing the Premier that is what he should do. So for me, changing the leader of the party is not going to make me feel any better towards the Provincial Conservative party because it is the entire party that is screwing things up. I hope that people see that and are not fooled into thinking that a new leader will make it all better. Sure you may get a stronger leader who makes decisions themselves but they will still stand for the same things that the current party stands for and may continue to screw up everything. I am not saying the Premier Stelmach isn't thinking for himself but I think that different members in the party push him towards what they want done and it isn't working. I don't blame Premier Stelmach and I feel bad for him and I am very annoyed with the Conservative party because I think that is where the bigger problem lies. Yet I also think that Stelmach should not have run for Premier in the first place and he put himself in that position so it is partly his fault. I also think that Premier Stelmach was pushed to step down and it wasn't completely his decision. I don't know if that is the case or not for sure but it looks that way to me and I want to share my views on this subject. I am not quite sure on this but it seems to me that Stelmach is stepping down before the next election which if that is the case it isn't right. People elected Stelmach in as Premier and I think he should stay as Premier until the next election. Maybe he is staying as Premier though till the next election and they are just choosing who will be his successor. Anyways, what ever happens I wish Stelmach all the best in what ever he chooses to do in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment